Summer 2023 Public Field Trips have ended
The Reserve offers three types of field trips:
- Nature hikes occur during low tides when the most amount of land is exposed on the island. Be prepared to get your shoes wet and muddy. We require close-toed shoes because of the abundance of oysters on the island. You may also have the opportunity to wade in the water on the nature hike, so dress accordingly.
- Boardwalk trips take you down Taylor's Creek to our boardwalk located on Carrot Island. View the Rachel Carson Reserve and the Town of Beaufort from the water on our 27' skiff.
- Circumnavigation cruise on our 27’ skiff around the Reserve allows visitors a chance to view Middle Marsh after a brief stop at the boardwalk.
On all three trips, we encourage you to bring sunglasses, hats, binoculars, water, and sunscreen. Children must be at least 4 years old to participate.
Reserve your spot on our boat!
- Use the "Sign Up Now!" links below to reserve your space. Directions will be provided in your confirmation email. The trips leave from Pivers Island in Beaufort.
- If you do not receive a confirmation email, your reservation did not process. Please call 252-220-0779 for help with your reservation.
- For more information or for assistance making your reservation, call 252-220-0779. If you leave a voicemail, please expect a return call from Reserve staff within 24 hours.
- If a trip is full, join the waitlist by calling 252-220-0779 or emailing our staff.
2023 Field Trips have Ended