The North Carolina Division of Coastal Management’s N.C. Coastal Reserve and National Estuarine Research Reserve (“the Reserve”) is seeking a talented individual to join the Reserve team as a Geographic Information System (GIS) Specialist. We are seeking someone with a natural resources background that is well-versed in the ESRI platforms (e.g., ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Collector) and experienced with metadata and file structure/organization. The selected applicant must be comfortable working with a team, but also capable of working independently and remotely. The ability to manage several tasks concurrently, along with excellent verbal and written communication skills are essential.
About the Position
The position is classified as part-time, temporary, with guaranteed funding through June, 2021. The employee will work 30-35 hours/week. Ability to work remotely is necessary, and some travel, including overnights, may be required subject to COVID-19 restrictions. The position does not include paid leave or retirement benefits, but subsidized health coverage is available. The employee will be located at one of the Coastal Reserve’s offices in Beaufort or Wilmington. Pay rate is $17.50-$19.00, based on qualifications.
The primary responsibilities of the position include:
- Organize and catalog the Reserve’s GIS files and migrate files to ArcGIS Online (AGOL)
- Create standardized metadata for GIS files, including standardized nomenclature
- Ensure appropriate GIS file sharing and updating processes are in place
- Create web maps for reserve sites with specified layers from in-house and publicly available data sets
- Create Collector apps to assist stewardship and research staff with new data collection
- Provide general GIS support for Reserve staff including map generation and analysis
Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in natural resources or a closely related field and two years of work experience related to GIS. Completion of coursework leading to GIS certification is desirable.
- Technical skills in Geographic Information Systems required.
- Experience with ESRI software, such as ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online, and ArcGIS Collector required.
- Experience with metadata generation, and file structure and nomenclature systems preferred.
- Excellent organizational, planning, and time management skills; written and verbal communication skills; initiative and problem- solving capability; and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to work in an office environment, remotely, or in the field.
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a team environment and independently.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks concurrently.
To apply, send a cover letter, résumé, and contact information for two professional references to Hope Sutton, firstname.lastname@example.org, by 5:00 p.m. August 14, 2020.