DW Operator Certification: Reciprocity


(certified in other states)


Out-Of-State Reciprocity

 Your current and active certification from another state may allow you to be eligible for a North Carolina drinking water certification.

Military Reciprocity

Your water treatment/distribution experience and training in the military may allow you to be eligible to sit for a North Carolina drinking water certification exam.

To qualify for consideration for either of the above, you will need to:

  • Complete the appropriate reciprocity application
  • Provide all requested documents
  • Pay a $50 application processing/exam fee
  • All applications for reciprocity must be received at least three weeks before the next scheduled board meeting in order to be considered for review at that meeting.

At the next quarterly certification board meeting for which your application qualifies, the board will review your submittal to determine what you may qualify for. 
Please note that you must be a legal resident of North Carolina, employed in North Carolina, or have a firm job offer from a North Carolina employer.

If you have questions about reciprocity or need more information,
please contact Jeff Talbott at 919-707-9108.