General NPDES wastewater permits currently exist for the following activities:
- Non-contact cooling water discharges;
- Petroleum-based groundwater remediation;
- Sand dredging;
- Seafood packaging; and
- Domestic discharges from single-family residences.
- Conjunctive Water Uses
To obtain a Certificate of Coverage under a general permit, a Notice of Intent (permit application) should be submitted to the NPDES Unit. Links to the appropriate NPDES General permit applications are listed below. Click on the green button to access application forms and the technical bulletin which explains each permit's requirements in more detail. Please read the technical bulletin before submitting your application.
After completing your application, please submit 1 original and 2 copies of your application package to the following mailing address:
Division of Water Resources
Water Quality Permitting Section - NPDES
1617 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-1617
By applying for your permit renewal in a timely manner, which includes either the payment of all annual fees OR submission of a renewal form, your CoC is automatically extended, as per NCGS § 150B-3. NPDES wastewater CoCs are eligible for automatic renewal only if all annual fees are paid.
Guidance for the Water Treatment Plant (WTP) General Permit (NCG590000)
To be considered for coverage under NCG590000 general permit, please include the following information along with EPA Form 1 and 2C:
- A Cover Letter should be included with the application stating you have reviewed the conditions set forth in the NCG590000 general permit and would like to be considered for coverage. Please also state you understand that upon issuance of a general permit, the individual NPDES permit for your facility will be rescinded.
- If this is a Conventional WTP, Whole Effluent Toxicity tests shall be performed annually and comply with a "Pass" permit limitation.
- NCG590000 requires all WTPs to comply with a turbidity effluent limitation.
- Please submit a $100.00 application fee (check made payable to NCDENR) for NEW Greensand WTPs that do not discharge to HQW or ORW waters.
- No fee is required for Greensand and Conventional WTPs seeking individual permit renewal and requesting to be considered for the general permit.