The Division of Environmental Assistance and Customer Service does not work directly on illegal dumping, litter or back yard burning. This web page acts as a connection to resources offered by sister agencies and other organizations in North Carolina and beyond our borders. For more information see below
For facts on illegal disposal and its effects, visit the following sites:
- N.C. DEQ's Division of Waste Management: Illegal Dumping
- The North Carolina Solid Waste Enforcement Officers Association is a resource for professionals working on illegal disposal and enforcement issues in North Carolina.
For resources on litter and to learn what you can do in your community to help fight litter, please visit:
- N.C. General Statute 14-399 - North Carolina's anti-litter law
- North Carolina Session Law 2001-512- An Act to strengthen the littering laws
- N.C. Department of Transportation’s Beautification Program – provides information on litter prevention, litter laws, and the Swat-a-Litterbug Program.
- Litter Free NC - N.C. Department of Public Safety's campaign to reduce littering in the state.
- Keep America Beautiful Litter Prevention Page – provides general information on litter, what can be done to prevent litter and a litter measurement tool to help communities assess their litter problem.
- Keep NC Beautiful (KNCB) – An affiliate of Keep America Beautiful, KNCB works directly with litter prevention in North Carolina, has local affiliates in nearly a third of North Carolina's counties, and provides programming and education for individuals and organizations.
It is illegal to burn trash and non-vegetative materials in North Carolina. For more information about open burning and air quality, please visit: