Frequently Asked Questions

Tab/Accordion Items

Seafood dealers are required to complete a trip ticket for each transaction at the time and place of landing (one trip ticket per trip). Trip tickets should be filled out accurately and legibly.

No. Complete one trip ticket per fishing trip. A separate trip ticket is required for each fishing trip. Landings from multiple trips are NOT to be combined and should be recorded on separate trip tickets.

Yes! Data are not considered public record (G.S. 113-170.3). The DMF may compile statistical information in summary form, which does not disclose the identity of any licensee or the source of the information. The DMF can use the data for program administration, enforcement, and determining conservation policies.

If a fisherman also holds a Seafood Dealer license, trip tickets must be completed at the point of landing (one trip ticket per trip). If the “fisherman/dealer” then sells his catch to another seafood dealer, a trip ticket should already have been completed by him, and the “second” seafood dealer is only required to show a receipt or bill of purchase to verify the purchase of said fish. The “second” dealer does not complete the trip ticket.

Yes! The dealer is responsible for the accuracy of all trip ticket reporting requirements, which includes fisherman license information.

Fisherman's name, a current and valid fisherman license number, a current and valid Commercial Fishing Vessel Registration Number (P-number), number of crew, fish dealer number, trip start date, unloading date, number of crab/peeler pots fished, gear(s) used, water body fished, amount of catch by species, shrimp species type, heads on/off (shrimp), lease number and other information the DMF deems necessary.

The DMF copies (the pink and yellow copies) of completed trip tickets and a completed green submittal/transaction form for any given month must be received by DMF on or before the 10th of the following month. For example, tickets recorded from January 1st to January 31st are due at DMF by February 10th. If a partial shipment is mailed for any given month, a final shipment to complete the month is still required on or before the 10th of the following month. If no landings occur and no trip tickets are completed for a given month, a submittal/transaction form indicating “0” transactions is still required on or before the 10th of the following month.

If you know ahead of time that you will not be buying seafood during certain months of the year, you can let the Trip Ticket Program know by circling those months on a green submittal form. You will not have to report for the months you circled as “seasonally closed”. If you should happen to have transactions during a seasonally closed month, complete trip tickets and send them in as usual by the due date. You will have to indicate again on that month’s submittal form if you are going to continue to be seasonally closed (once a dealer submits a trip ticket while seasonally closed, it automatically cancels the “seasonally closed” status and the dealer must return to reporting monthly until seasonally closed months are indicated again).

Dealers must report to the Trip Ticket Program monthly as long as a current and valid fish dealer license is held, and you have not alerted the Trip Ticket Program that you are seasonally closed by circling closed months on the submittal/transaction form. If no purchases are made in any given month, a green submittal form indicating “0” trip tickets for the month, must be submitted by the due date.

Dealers who do not report by the 10th of the following month are in violation of Trip Ticket Program reporting requirements. Commercial Port Agents will call or visit dealers to remind them of their non-compliant status. If unable to make contact with the dealer, a certified letter will be sent notifying the dealer that trip tickets are overdue. Dealers failing to report after seven days of receiving and signing for the letter are turned over to the Division’s Marine Patrol for further action.

A dealer must retain his/her copies of trip tickets for a period of not less than three (3) years. [MFC Rule 3I.0114 (a), (1) (2) and (3)].

The DMF has begun requiring verification of shellfish lease harvest amounts based on reported trip ticket landings. Shellfish leaseholders and shellfish dealers are to ensure that lease numbers are recorded accurately on the number7 Shellfish Type trip tickets. If a shellfish transaction originates from more than one lease, dealers are to record the harvest from each lease on a separate trip ticket (one trip ticket per lease) and record the appropriate transaction number.

Yes, once you have completed the trip ticket the seafood may be transported across state lines as long as the appropriate documentation accompanies the seafood. Appropriate documentation includes but is not limited to dealer receipts, and must account for all seafood being transported.

No, anyone who is designated by the dealer may fill out the trip ticket.

Yes, if the catch is landed by a licensed fisherman and then given to or purchased by a licensed dealer it must be recorded by said dealer on a trip ticket.

No, recreational fishermen are not allowed to sell their catch.

No, however, all recreational regulations must be followed while recreational fishing.