As part of the ongoing effort to understand and track emerging compounds in North Carolina, the Division of Air Quality has established a Background PFAS Rainwater Network to monitor for the presence of PFAS. These sites allow DAQ to monitor for PFAS deposition via air emissions.
There are seven background sites generally oriented near the division's regional offices:
- Raleigh – started 4/24/18
- Fayetteville (Candor) – started 10/24/18
- Asheville – started 11/20/18
- Wilmington – started 1/8/19
- Washington – started 2/12/19
- Mooresville – started 3/12/19
- Winston Salem – started 3/26/19
Since January of 2018, the Division of Air Quality has been monitoring rainwater to assess the deposition of GenX via air emissions from the Chemours facility.