Water Use Reporting


 LWSP - Local Water Supply Planning, Vardry Austin (919.707.9002)

North Carolina General Statute General Statute § 143-355(l) requires all units of local government that provide or plan to provide public water service to prepare a Local Water Supply Plan. All community water systems that regularly serve 1,000 or more service connections or serve more than 3,000 people are also required to prepare a Local Water Supply Plan.

WSRP - Water Shortage Response Planning, Klaus Albertin (919.707.9035)

A Water Shortage Response Plan is a requirement for all systems that submit a LWSP. A WSRP establishes authority for declaration of a water shortage, defines different phases of water shortage severity, and outlines appropriate responses for each phase.

WWATR - Water Withdrawal and Transfer Registration, John Barr (919.707.9021)

North Carolina General Statute § 143-215.22H (15A NCAC 02E .0301) requires surface water and ground water withdrawers who meet conditions established by the General Assembly to register their water withdrawals and surface water transfers with the State and update those registrations at least every five years. Agricultural water users that withdraw one million gallons of water a day or more and non-agricultural water users that withdraw one hundred thousand gallons of water a day are required to register. Administrative rules that became effective in March 2007 (15A NCAC 02E.0600) stipulate that registrants must also report their water usage annually to the Department of Environmental Quality.

CCPCUA - Central Coastal Plain Capacity Use Area, ccpcua@ncdenr.gov

The Environmental Management Commission has designated the area within Beaufort, Carteret, Craven, Duplin, Edgecombe, Greene, Jones, Lenoir, Martin, Onslow, Pamlico, Pitt, Washington, Wayne, and Wilson as the Central Coastal Plain Capacity Use Area (CCPCUA) and approved the CCPCUA rules which create a groundwater use permitting process. All ground water users using more than 100,000 gallons per day will be required to apply for and obtain a water use permit in order to continue withdrawing. Regulated withdrawals include those from a well, a group of wells operated as a system, or a sump.