Public Records

How do I review and obtain copies of public records?

Many public records are already available online. Before submitting a request, check the online documents and ArcGIS tools on the Online Public Records page. To request a record, simply fill out the online Public Records Request form.

Each agency within the department maintains its own files. At this time, there is no central file room for the entire department.

DWR's Central File Office is located in room B-24 of the Archdale Building, 512 N. Salisbury Street, Raleigh, N.C., 27604. The office maintains files for the Water Quality Permitting and Water Quality Regional Operations programs. This includes files related to permitting, compliance and correspondence records for wastewater treatment systems (domestic, industrial, animal); sewage collection systems; and, land application of treated wastewater, animal waste and residuals. Files are also available concerning wetlands and stream impacts and issues relating to water planning.

The files are available for review and copying Monday through Friday; 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Files may also be available for review in one of the agency's regional offices. Please make an appointment to review files by contacting the regional office closest to the facility whose records you wish to review.

Regional Office Map and Contacts