NC Environmental Stewardship Initiative
The Environmental Stewardship Initiative at DEQ recognizes and supports companies and facilities that go above and beyond to reduce their impact on the environment.
ESI members strive to go beyond the minimum requirements and are committed to setting and achieving sustainability goals and conservation targets.
To support and encourage superior environmental performance, DEQ provides no-cost technical assistance, including strategies to reduce water and energy usage, for all ESI members. This voluntary program also provides members with networking and outreach opportunities to learn about innovative solutions and share successes as they achieve their goals.
ESI Members saved money by implementing environmental projects over the past 20 years
Gallons of Water Saved
ESI members implemented changes to significantly reduce water usage over the past 20 years
Fewer Tons of Waste
ESI members reduced the amount of waste going to landfills over the past 20 years
Benefits of Becoming an ESI Member
ESI Member Levels
The Steward level is our elite designation for organizations displaying a commitment to exemplary environmental performance beyond what is required by law.
The Rising Steward level is designed for organizations that have a mature environmental management system.
The Partner level is designed for a broad range of organizations interested in developing a systematic approach to improving their environmental performance.
Learn more about the ESI membership levels through the Become an ESI Member link below.
Benefits of Membership:
- Networking opportunities
- Access to free training and webinars;
- Participation in the annual ESI Conference;
- Partners and Rising Stewards are presented with their recognition at the annual ESI Conference;
- Stewards are presented with their recognition at an onsite ceremony with the DEQ Secretary;
- Bi-monthly electronic newsletter;
- Stewards are invited to a special face-to-face meeting with the DEQ Secretary;
- Members are appointed to a coach that serves as a single point of contact within DEQ;
- Free assistance with EMS development and;
- Links to your organization on the ESI website.