Permitting and Corrective Action

Permitting and corrective action are the primary purpose of the Facility Management Branch of the Hazardous Waste Section through administration of the portions of the North Carolina Hazardous Waste Management Rules that pertain to facilities seeking an operating or post-closure permit and to those facilities who must investigate and remediate releases of hazardous waste constituents to the environment via their permit or other legal mechanism. The portions of the NC rules that encompass these facilities can be found in 15A NCAC 13A .0101-.0119, and adopt by reference the applicable Federal RCRA rules. In administering these rules, the Facility Management Branch guides the affected facilities through the following regulatory processes:

  1. Implementation of a groundwater monitoring/assessment program to determine the extent of hazardous constituent contamination;
  2. Closure of the hazardous waste management unit;
  3. Post-closure activities, including review of the post-closure plan and the post-closure permit application;
  4. The operating permit;
  5. Design and implementation of a corrective action system to control and abate releases to soil, groundwater, surface water and air;
  6. RCRA Facility Assessment to identify other potential release sources on the facility's property; and
  7. Permit modifications.

All of these activities require the Branch personnel to review facility applications, plans and reports to ensure that the facility activities meet current regulatory and technical standards. The Branch recommends the issuance or denial of operating and post-closure permits to the Hazardous Waste Section Chief, but conducts all administrative procedures for the issuance of such permits. The Branch ensures that facilities operate under continued regulatory compliance by providing

  1. A high degree of technical assistance to both the regulatory community and the general public;
  2. Constant permit maintenance; and
  3. Evaluation of facilities' groundwater assessment and monitoring programs.

The Branch also issues Research, Development and Demonstration permits and emergency permits as needed.

Kim Caulk (919) 707-8350