The Classifications & Standards Branch is responsible for developing and assisting with the interpretation and implementation of the state's surface water and groundwater quality standards and surface water body classifications such as Water Supply (WS), High-Quality Waters (HQW), and others. It provides support for DWR rulemaking and to the Environmental Management Commission (EMC) and the EMC's Water Quality and Groundwater Committees. Staff members also represent the Department on a variety of state and national workgroups.
For more information please click the links below:
- Current Reclassification Proposals
- Surface Water Standards
- Groundwater Standards
- Groundwater IMACs
- 303(d) Impaired Waterbodies List
- DWR Surface Water Classifications Map
- DWR Rulemaking Email Listserv - Sign up here to receive rule-making announcements!
- Rules Review
- Helpful DWR Links
- Helpful EPA Links
Main telephone: 919-707-9000 (or use direct numbers below)
|Paul Wojoski||Branch Chiefemail@example.com|
|Peter Johnston||Environmental Technician, WQC Coordinatorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Elizabeth Ward Liebig||Reclassifications Coordinatoremail@example.com|
|Elizabeth Kountis||Water Quality Standards Coordinatorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Bridget Flaherty Shelton||Groundwater Water Quality Standards Coordinatoremail@example.com|
|Christopher Ventaloro||Water Quality Standards Coordinatorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Susie Meadows||Water Quality Standards Specialistemail@example.com|
Mailing address: 1611 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-1611
DWR Rulemaking Email Listserv
This mailing list publishes emails concerning rule-making announcements. Please fill out the form below to join the list.
To receive historical rule-making announcements, view the DWRrules List Archive.
Helpful DWR Links
- DWR Rules Webpage - North Carolina Administrative Code
- DWR Public Hearings & Meetings - Dates, locations, & public notices
- Environmental Management Commission (EMC) - Adopts rules for the protection, preservation, and enhancement of NC's air and water resources
- Data, Statistics, & Maps
Helpful EPA Links
- Water Quality Standards Program - Aquatic Life, Human Health, Nutrients, etc...
- ECOTOX Database - Chemical toxicity information for aquatic and terrestrial life
- IRIS (Integrated Risk Information System) Database - Compiles reports on substances that cause human health effects
- Clean Water Act - History, introduction, updates, etc...
- CFR Title 40: Protection of Environment - Code of Federal Regulations that deals with protecting the environment and human health