If you have a small facility, you may be eligible to request a Permit Exemption under 15A NCAC 02Q .0102 or to request Registration for your facility under 15A NCAC 02D .0202. You are NOT eligible to request a permit exemption or registration if your permit has toxics limits under 15A NCAC 02D .1100 based on modeling.
- Has actual particulate (PM10), SO2, NOX, VOC, CO, HAP, or TAP less than 5 tpy, each; AND
- Has actual total PM10, SO2, NOX, VOC, CO, HAP, or TAP aggregate emissions less than 10 tpy.
If your facility meets these requirements, you may choose to either keep your permit, register your facility under 15A NCAC 02D .0202, or request your permit to be rescinded. [15A NCAC 02Q .0102(i)]
The checklist is a tool to assist exempt facilities maintain compliance with certain federal and state regulations
You may be eligible for registering your facility under 15A NCAC 02D .0202 instead of obtaining an Air Quality Permit under 15A NCAC 02Q .0300 if your facility:
- Is not already exempt per 15A NCAC 02Q .0102(d); AND
- Has actual particulate (PM10), SO2, NOX, VOC, CO, HAP, or TAP aggregate emissions greater than or equal to 5 tpy; AND
- Has actual total PM10, SO2, NOX, VOC, CO, HAP, or TAP aggregate emissions less than 25 tpy.
You are not eligible to register your facility if any of the following are true:
- You have a synthetic minor facility that is regulated under to 15A NCAC 02Q .0315
- Your facility has a source subject to maximum achievable control technology under 40 CFR Part 63;
- Your facility has sources of VOC or NOX that are located in a nonattainment area; or
- Your facility has a source regulated under New Source Performance Standards (NSPS), unless the source is exempted pursuant to 15A NCAC 02Q .0102(g) or (h).
***Note that when emissions are calculated, any hazardous air pollutants (HAP) and toxic air pollutants (TAP) that are also volatile organic compounds (VOC) should not be double counted.
If your facility meets these requirements, you may choose to either keep your permit or register your facility. If you choose to register your facility, complete and submit an application for registration for the following:
- Registration of New Registered/Greenfield facility;
- Registration of an existing permitted facility whose actual emissions meet the requirements for registration. This registration will also include the rescission of the existing air permit. The facility ID Number will remain the same as for the previous air permit.
- Modification/Addition of existing/new emission sources at a Registered facility, ownership change or facility name change, or changes to facility contact information.
The Application for Registration requires general information about the facility, a listing of the proposed emission source(s) and/or control device(s) for which the application is made, and the signature of the Authorized Contact for the facility.