How to Get Started
EPA’s NPDES Electronic Reporting Rule requires all NPDES-permitted facilities to submit reports such as discharge monitoring reports (DMRs) and annual reports electronically rather than in paper. The rule changes only the method by which information is provided, not the content of the information that must be provided.
Before submitting the eDMR Registration Form, please make sure that the permit contacts are up to date (Step 1 of the Six Step Process). Important permit contacts such as Owner Affiliation (for eDMR Owner privileges) and Person(s) with Delegated Signatory Authority (for eDMR Submitter privileges) should be current. Review the list of all stormwater permits that are assigned to a given Owner. If your permit is not up to date, this can lead to a delay in your eDMR registration.
- Follow the SIX STEP PROCESS for registering in Stormwater eDMR.
- When registering, be sure to complete and submit a Delegation of Signature Authority (DOSA) Form granting any non-owner individuals signature authority. Any individual other than the owner must have signature authority to be a submitter. Please submit the DOSA Form with your Stormwater eDMR Registration Form if you are adding non-owner individuals as submitters.
- Permittees should read through the Stormwater eDMR User Guide before contacting staff with questions. Section 7 (page 30) of that Guide on creating and submitting eDMR reports is especially helpful.
Please visit the Wastewater eDMR web site if you need information about electronic reporting for an NPDES wastewater permit.
Benefits of eDMR
- Saves time and resources by eliminating paper reports.
- Provides a complete and accurate set of monitoring data on industrial facilities.
- Brings DEQ and permittees into compliance with EPA’s NPDES Electronic Reporting Rule.
As of 2023, all permittees should have completed Steps 1 and 2 of the Six Step e-DMR Registration Process. If you have submitted registration paperwork but have not received eDMR account set-up information, please contact Joyce Sanford to inquire about the status.
If your industrial facility is not required to report analytical samples and does not foresee a need to do so in the near future, then you do not have to register for e-DMR.
How to Submit Paper DMRs Before eDMR Registration is Processed and Completed:
- Download the applicable DMR from the NPDES Stormwater Industrial Individual website or the NPDES Stormwater General Permit website.
- Complete, sign, scan and upload the DMR to the NPDES Stormwater Permit Discharge Monitoring Report (DMR) Upload form within 30 days of receiving sampling results. Please remember that paper DMRs must have original wet-ink signatures per federal regulations (once you transition to eDMR, electronic signatures will be accepted).
- Mail the original, wet-ink signed hard copy of the DMR to the appropriate DEMLR Regional Office.
- Do not send DMRs to Central Files in Raleigh! (This is a change from the previous procedure.)
- Be sure to check for the most recently updated DMR forms for your general permit.
System Requirements for eDMR
To use eDMR, a user must have:
- A basic computer with adequate memory and resources for internet functions,
- An internet connection and browser (Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox),
- A PDF reader (Adobe Reader, Adobe Acrobat, or other available PDF reader), and
- A valid email address.
Permittees who do not have the above items may submit an Application for Temporary Stormwater Electronic Reporting Waiver.
Six Step Process for Stormwater eDMR
The Six Step Process for Stormwater eDMR includes links to the required forms.