The Division of Environmental Assistance and Customer Service (DEACS) is an agency within the Department of Environmental Quality whose mission is to protect and improve North Carolina’s environment and economy through:
- Providing customer-focused assistance,
- Facilitating a greater understanding of environmental permitting and compliance,
- Encouraging wider adoption of sustainable practices,
- Promoting increased recycling and reduced waste disposal, and
- Reducing impacts from resource consumption.
Our goal is to
- expand the use of sustainable practices regarding waste reduction, energy efficiency, water conservation and emissions reductions;
- broaden our understanding of the environmental regulatory and permitting programs to improve our customer service assistance and;
- promote recycling material management programs and help expand recycling infrastructures thereby creating economic growth.
Our services include, but are not limited to: recycling and waste reduction assistance; environmental technical and permit assistance specific to citizens, businesses, local governments and various industry types; free onsite energy and water use audits; small business advocacy; recognition of commitments to continual environmental performance; facilitation of financing and tax credits for recycling businesses; coordination of exchange markets for reusable materials; express permitting coordination, and development of sustainability plans and environmental management systems.
Telephone for Environmental Assistance: 877-623-6748
Mailing: 1639 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, 27699-1639