2018 Watauga River Basin Water Resources Plan
The 2018 Watauga River Basin Water Resources Plan is the fourth document to be developed for the Watauga River basin by the Division of Water Resources (DWR) in the North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ). The plan includes six sections covering water quality and water quantity issues in the basin. Information presented in the plan is based on data collected between September 2004 to July 2016. The plan also includes interactive components. Using online tools available through ESRI, a Story Map was developed specifically for the Watauga River basin. Because the interactive components provide a better view of where monitoring locations, permits and streams are located in the basin, only a few locational maps are included in this basin plan.
- Basic information about land use and population, nonpoint source pollution (agriculture, forestry, stormwater), programs to protect water resources and stream flow.
- Reviews how chemical, physical and biological parameters are used to assess water quality in North Carolina and overall results for the Watauga River basin.
Section 3: Watershed Chapters
- Provide detailed information at the watershed scale. Individual stream assessments, special studies, information related to water use, and specific projects in the watershed are included.
- General information about existing programs that protect water resources. Examples include wastewater management, stormwater programs, public water supply systems, and underground storage tanks.
- Provides a summary of water use in the basin. Information related to water use was obtained from LWSPs, information housed in the WWATR database, and national databases available through USGS and USDA. A two-page summary is also available for this section.
- This section explores various options for protecting water resources and includes general information as it relates to local initiatives, watershed planning and funding opportunities.
Notice of Disclaimer: The North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality (NCDEQ) makes these documents available on an "as is" basis. All warranties and representations of any kind with regard to said documents are disclaimed, including the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular use. Under no circumstances will the NCDEQ, or any of its officers or employees be liable for any consequential, incidental, special or exemplary damages even if apprised of the likelihood of such damages occurring. The NCDEQ does not warrant the documents against deficiencies of any kind. The use of any of these documents for work which is under contract with the NCDEQ, does not relieve the contractor from any obligations assumed by the contract or from complete and proper fulfillment of the terms of the contract, nor does it entitle the contractor to compensation for damages or loss which could be attributed to such use.
updated 11/09/2018 mmraquet
2007 Watauga River Basinwide Water Quality Plan
Plan By Chapter
Water Quality Data & Information by Subbasin
General Basin Information
- Chapter 2 - North Carolina Water Quality Classifications and Standards
- Chapter 3 - Water Quality Stressors in the Watauga River Basin
- Chapter 4 - Population Growth, Land Cover Changes and Water Quality in Western North Carolina
- Chapter 5 - Stormwater and Wastewater Programs
- Chapter 6 - Agriculture and Water Quality
- Chapter 7 - Forestry in the Watauga River Basin
- Chapter 8 - Water Resources
- Chapter 9 - Natural Resources
- Chapter 10 - Water Quality Initiatives
- Appendix I - Population and Growth Trends in the Watauga River Basin
- Appendix II - Local Governments and Planning Jurisdictions in the Watauga River Basin
- Appendix III - Land Cover in the Watauga River Basin
- Appendix IV - DWQ Water Quality Monitoring Programs in the Watauga River Basin
- Appendix V - Other Water Quality Data in the Watauga River Basin
- Appendix VI - NPDES Discharges and General Stormwater Permits
- Appendix VII - 303(d) Listing and Reporting Methodology
- Appendix VIII - Watauga River Basin Nonpoint Source Program Description and Contacts
- Appendix IX - Use Support Methodology and Use Support Ratings
- Appendix X - Glossary of Terms and Acronyms
2001 Watauga River Basinwide Water Quality Plan
Plan By Chapter
Section A – General Basinwide Information
- Chapter 1 – Introduction to Basinwide Water Quality Planning
- Chapter 2 – Basin Overview
- Chapter 3 – Summary of Water Quality Information for the Watauga River Basin
- Chapter 4 – Water Quality Issues Related to the Multiple Watersheds in the Watauga River Basin
Section B – Water Quality Data and Information by Subbasin
Section C – Current and Future Water Quality Initiatives
- Appendix I - NPDES Dischargers in the Watauga River Basin
- Appendix II - Water Quality Data Collected by DWQ (Benthic Macroinvertebrate Collections)
- Appendix III - Use Support Methodology and Use Support Ratings
- Appendix IV - 303(d) Listing and Reporting Methodology
- Appendix V - Watauga River Basin Workshop Summary
- Appendix VI - Watauga River Basin Nonpoint Source Program Description and Contacts
- Appendix VII - Glossary of Terms and Acronyms
Watauga Basin Mailing List
To subscribe to DWR's Watauga River Basin email list to receive emails regarding public comment periods and public meetings related to the basin, please fill out the form below. Public participation in the development of the basin plan is encouraged.