DEQ released the Request for Proposals (RFP) for the Phase 2 Level 2 Workplace Program on June 13, 2022. Applications for the Level 2 Workplace Program opened in the Grant Management System on July 25, 2022.
Applications for this program closed on March 31, 2023. Eligible applications received by the close date are currently under review.
Level 2 Workplace Program
DEQ releases Request for Proposals for the Phase 2 Workplace Program on June 13, 2022.
In Phase 2 of the program, $489,544 in Volkswagen funds were allocated to the Level 2 Workplace Program to install Level 2 electric vehicle charging infrastructure at eligible workplaces for employee or fleet vehicle charging.
DAQ announced the latest round of awards through this program in February 2023. Additional awards are being made as qualifying applications are received. See the full list of Level 2 Workplace awards (updated 5-3-2023) for more information.
Eligible Action Category
Program Funding Amount
Level 2 State Workplace Program
Light Duty Zero Emission Vehicle Supply Equipment
|Accessible to General Public
|Maximum Rebate per Charging Port
|Or (whichever is less)
|Maximum % of Total Project Costs*
*NCDEQ reserves the right to partially fund an application based on available funds.
To be notified for future funding opportunity announcements, please send an email with "Subscribe" in the subject line to email@example.com.
|Release of RFP
|June 13, 2022
|Webinar for new DAQ Grants Management System Users
|June 20, 2022
|Program RFP information session
|June 27, 2022
|Application available in DAQ Grants Management System
|July 25, 2022
|Application closes in DAQ Grants Management System
|March 31, 2023
|Proposal application evaluations
|Grant awards announced
Organizations that own or operate an eligible workplace location may apply for a Level 2 ZEV Charging Infrastructure Program rebate. Eligible applicants include:
- Local, county, municipal, federal or tribal government agencies. Government is defined in Appendix B of the Request for Proposals.
- Incorporated Nonprofit: an organization as described in section 501(c)(3) of the Federal Internal Revenue Code of 1954, as amended. The organization must be incorporated under NC law or registered with the NC Department of the Secretary of State.
- Businesses: corporations, partnerships, sole proprietorships, limited liability companies, business trusts or other legal business entities incorporated in or registered with the NC Department of the Secretary of State.
Further, applicants must meet one of the following criteria, depending on the expected use of the EV charging station to be reimbursed:
- Employee charging: Workplaces must have at least 5 or more year-round and full-time employees on site at the location identified in the application in North Carolina to be eligible to apply and receive funding for EV charging stations intended for use by employees’ personal vehicles.
- Fleet charging: Light-duty fleet owners in North Carolina planning to have at least one EV in their fleet are eligible to apply and receive funding for EV charging stations intended for use by fleet vehicles.
For full details, read the Request for Proposals.
Before you submit your application, check your eligibility in the RFP.
Download the Level 2 Rebate Funding Calculator Form (use Workplace tab)
Download the Workplace Verification Form
This checklist includes all the required attachments for applications.
Send Questions to DAQ VW Grants
A sample application from data entered into the DAQ Grants Management System and Vehicle spreadsheet are provided below.