Oil Terminal Facilities

North Carolina General Statute (NCGS) 143-215.96 requires registration of oil terminal facilities.

What is an Oil Terminal Facility?
The definition of an oil terminal facility is found in North Carolina Oil Pollution and Hazardous Substances Control Act (NCGS 143-215.77(11)):

  • Oil terminal facility means any facility of any kind and related appurtenances located in, on or under the surface of any land, or water, including submerged lands, which is used or capable of being used for the purpose of transferring, transporting, storing, processing or refining oil

This definition does not include any of the following:

  • Any facility having a storage capacity of less than 500 barrels (21,000 gallons)
  • Any retail gasoline dispensing operation serving the motoring public
  • A vessel shall be considered an oil terminal facility only in the event that it is utilized to transfer oil from another vessel to an oil terminal facility; or to transfer oil between one oil terminal facility and another oil terminal facility; or is used to store oil.

What are the Requirements?
An owner or operator of any facility that meets the above definition of an oil terminal facility is required to submit an application for registration within 30 days of beginning of operation.

The following information is required for registration:

  1. Complete name of owner and operator of the oil terminal facility together with addresses and phone numbers;
  2. Numbers of employees of the oil terminal facility and the principal officers;
  3. Maps or sketches to show property lines of the oil terminal facility and location of nearby watercourses or bodies of water; and
  4. Procedures for the prevention of oil spills

To register or amend an existing facility, mail a completed registration application to:
OTF registration form   Word Document     PDF

Oil Terminal Facility Registration
1646 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-1646

A Certificate of Registration will be mailed following review of the application.

For questions, call (919) 707-8171